Freedom and Grace Forums
July 23, 2014, 04:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: freedomandgrace.com is alive!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The wounds of Christ  (Read 825 times)
Lone Arranger

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »

I been thinking about the 7 wounds of Christ.  Setting aside the obvious symbolism of the number 7, it occurs to me that each of the wounds relates to the ways we sin.  In other wounds Christ's wounds showed and paid for all the ways we sin, both literally and symbolically. 

Starting with the crown of thorns, we conceive of sinful actions with our thoughts which, of course strart in our head. 

Moving to the heart wound, our emotions drive us to do things we know we shouldn't.  In ancient times the heart was believed to be the seat of emotions, and recently medical doctors have discovered a, as yet unexplained, relationship between the two. 

Then the wounds to the hands (probably the wrists, to the Jews they were considered one and the same).  With our hands we commit sinful act. 

Then the feet that carry us to wherever those acts are committed. The bible speaks of feet that are swift to shed blood.

Lastly the wounds to the back symbolizing the heavy burden of sin - we even say of addictions, for example, that we have a monkey on our back.  Sin bows you down - eventually to the very grave. 

Christ bore it all on the cross, and acted out in pantomime - symbolically as well as literally - the payment for any sin any of us will or have ever commited. 

How worth of praise He is!  Words cannot adequately praise Him.  It's no wonder the angels continually cry out, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty!" 

...while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously. 1 Peter 2:23
Kings_kid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »

Thought provoking.  I hadn't thought about the number of wounds before -- probably from seeing the "Passion" movie, and reading about how much of His Body was torn up, more than we can imagine.  

Hollywood doesn't do justice to the cruelty and violence that was inflicted on people under the ancient empires.  Crucifixion is much, much worse than the anemic version showed in most "Christ movies".

And His back would have been ripped open to the point that His bones showed through.  His face would have been beaten to a bloody pulp.  He would have been barely recognizable as a man, more like a moving pile of raw meat.  Not a pretty image, but probably more accurate.

And if our Heavenly Dad was willing to endure such a price through His Son to buy our freedom, what blessing would He ever withhold from His kids?

Romans 8:31-32
"If God is for us, who can be against us?  He Who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"

Lone Arranger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »

They say (you know "they") that crucifixion in some form predated the Romans, and was originally meant as a way to keep mother earth, a god to some, from being contaminated.  Doesn't make a lot of sense since that ssme criminal would end up being buried - or maybe they burned them - in the earth. 

...while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously. 1 Peter 2:23
Kings_kid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »

I hear the ancient assyrians, long before rome, had an interesting "twist" on torture.  They impaled their enemies on tall spikes through the anal opening and let them squirm, and scream, until they died.  Which sounds mighty cruel to me, but in the roman method the person would live longer and squirm longer, sometimes for days.

However, Jesus died after only a few hours -- it is said He died of a broken heart.  Makes sense considering His Mission.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:41:40 PM by Kings_kid » Logged
MERKS

Never apologize on behalf of GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »

Yea, that method of impaling people on a pole was known as "calculated frightfulness." The Assyrians , after conquering a city would bring along with them some of their captives to be used as an example of the fate of the next city if complete surrender was not given. The captives would be impaled and would be paraded out in front of their army as they approached the next city; I'm sure it made quite an impression! I'm not sure I can totally embrace the seven wounds of Christ idea, although it is interesting. But the crucifixion did, in one fell swoop, fulfill the prophetic utterance given by the Prophets concerning the suffering Messiah and his redemptive work! Even the most committed skeptic has his hands full trying to explain away those Messianic prophecies fulfilled by our LORD!  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:00:00 AM by MERKS » Logged
Lone Arranger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »

I believe Christ dismissed His Spirit when He completed what He came to accomplish.

Vlad the impaler used that spike method also. 

Kings_kid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »

merks:  "But the crucifixion did, in one fell swoop, fulfill the prophetic utterance given by the Prophets concerning the suffering Messiah and his redemptive work! Even the most committed skeptic has his hands full trying to explain away those Messianic prophecies fulfilled by our LORD!"

K_k:  The ones that come to mind are the standard prophecies in Isaiah.  Did you have others in mind, also -- like in the Psalms?

Isaiah 53:1-12  Amplified
"Who has believed (trusted in, relied upon, and clung to) our Message [of that which was revealed to us]? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been disclosed?

"For [the Servant of God] grew up before Him like a tender plant, and like a root out of dry ground; He has no form or comeliness [royal, kingly pomp], that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him.

"He was despised and rejected and forsaken by men, a Man of sorrows and pains, and acquainted with grief and sickness; and like One from Whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we did not appreciate His worth or have any esteem for Him.

"Surely He has borne our griefs (sicknesses, weaknesses, and distresses) and carried our sorrows and pains [of punishment], yet we [ignorantly] considered Him stricken, smitten, and afflicted by God [as if with leprosy].

"But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.

"All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has made to light upon Him the guilt and iniquity of us all.

"He was oppressed, [yet when] He was afflicted, He was submissive and opened not His mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He opened not His mouth.

"By oppression and judgment He was taken away; and as for His generation, who among them considered that He was cut off out of the land of the living [stricken to His death] for the transgression of my [Isaiah’s] people, to whom the stroke was due?

"And they assigned Him a grave with the wicked, and with a rich man in His death, although He had done no violence, neither was any deceit in His mouth.

"Yet it was the will of the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief and made Him sick. When You and He make His life an offering for sin [and He has risen from the dead, in time to come], He shall see His [spiritual] offspring, He shall prolong His days, and the will and pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.

"He shall see [the fruit] of the travail of His soul and be satisfied; by His knowledge of Himself [which He possesses and imparts to others] shall My [uncompromisingly] righteous One, My Servant, justify many and make many righteous (upright and in right standing with God), for He shall bear their iniquities and their guilt [with the consequences, says the Lord].

"Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great [kings and rulers], and He shall divide the spoil with the mighty, because He poured out His life unto death, and [He let Himself] be regarded as a criminal and be numbered with the transgressors; yet He bore [and took away] the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors (the rebellious)."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: