Protestant vs Cathloic confession?

(1/2) > >>

The G Man:
Why do cathloics and Protestants confess sin totally differently?

Cathloics classify sin into categories. Protestants see sin as all the same and commit one and commit them all.

Cathloics go to confession with a priest and the priest assigns the person penance to do like 3 hail marrys. I don't even know what a hail marry is other than a crazy pass in football.

Why don't Protestants go to confession and do penance? Might be easier to tell a priest you sinned and the 3 hail marrys and you are good to go. Are Protestants supposed to assign themselves penance after confessing their sins to God? They don't seem to teach practical stuff like that in church.

Seems odd that Christians do things in such different ways and both think the other is wrong.

Joker:
Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as 'Carolina'

Cathloics classify sin into categories. Protestants see sin as all the same and commit one and commit them all.

We pay lip service to all sin being equal, but honestly, does anyone believe that falsely telling your wife that dress doesn't make her backside look big is as bad as, say, a mass genocide?  But it's logically required for Solo Gracia.  Sometimes I think that makes us blind to real evil.

Quote from: Da G-Man

Why don't Protestants go to confession and do penance? Might be easier to tell a priest you sinned and the 3 hail Marys and you are good to go. Are Protestants supposed to assign themselves penance after confessing their sins to God? They don't seem to teach practical stuff like that in church.

In Methodist churches, we have a formal time of confession where you say a generic prayer of confession ("Lord, we confess we have not loved you with our whole heart; we have failed to be an obedient church; we have broken your Law, we have not loved our neighbors, and we have failed to hear the cry of the needy."), followed by a moment of silence where you can confess your personal, specific sins.  Note that this takes the Priest/Pastor out of the formal role of intercessor, which was probably a Protestant political reaction to priestly abuses and the whole Catholic heirarchy thing.  Protestants believe we have direct access to God (or that Jesus Himself is our intercessor before the Father), whereas (as an ex-Catholic lady told me) Catholics believe God is not really user-friendly and has layers of saints between Him and us.  Make an appointment with one of His administrative assistants... 

Now if you want, you can talk one-on-one with your pastor about your sins; I'm sure he (or she, if your church has female pastors like Methodists do) would be willing to listen.  (It usually goes with the job description.)  As for penance...  Protestants believe Jesus paid the price for all sin, so human penance is meaningless to God.  Penance can be meaningful to humans, though, so I wouldn't discount it altogether.  But do you really want your pastor to have the authority to tell you what to do?  Backed up by the implied power of God to forgive or not forgive sin?  "If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."  Nah, I'm sure you're quite capable of thinking for yourself.  Oh wait, on second thought....

Quote from: Gerald

Seems odd that Christians do things in such different ways and both think the other is wrong.

I've accepted this as just the way it is.  Now we see in a glass darkly...

Lone Arranger:

Why do Catholics and Protestants confess sin totally differently?

Catholics classify sin into categories. Protestants see sin as all the same and commit one and commit them all.

Catholics go to confession with a priest and the priest assigns the person penance to do like 3 hail marrys. I don't even know what a hail marry is other than a crazy pass in football.

Why don't Protestants go to confession and do penance? Might be easier to tell a priest you sinned and the 3 hail marrys and you are good to go. Are Protestants supposed to assign themselves penance after confessing their sins to God? They don't seem to teach practical stuff like that in church.
The reason is Catholics believe they can pay for their own sins with good works.  That's also why the sins are classified.  Bigger sins require more payment, so they think.  Hail Marys are a form of good works, as is contributing to the church, etc.  The confession to the priest (which is unbiblical - we should confess to God) was so that (especially in ancient days) the priest could say, "Ah, that will cost you $$."  It was all really about gaining favor and power for the priesthood, especially money. 

As Christians we confess to God.  He is our only Father.  Other than that we confess to each other, those that can be trusted; but not to gain favor with God. 

We, Christians, are dead in Christ.  Dead men don't sin under the law.  Romans 6.

geralduk:
I would sugest  that 'confession' shoudl be understood as the BIBle shows it.

before Pilate Jesus made a good confession.

John the baptist  "denied not but confessed he was not the Christ"

Instead of going to this mountain or that one perhaps one shoudl go to God?

Willis:
During the Medieval Period when people lived in small villages and had limited ability to travel more than 30-40 miles from their place of birth, the Roman Catholic Church was not just a religion--it was also the government. Requiring people to confess every sin to the local priest gave him incredible social power through the knowledge that he alone would possess. Because people generally lived in small, heterogeneous groups it would have been difficult to lie about your actions, especially if others were spilling the beans to the priest.

In areas controlled by the RCC there was no alternative to "going along" else one be excommunicated. That was a big deal then because excommunication meant you became an outcast and shunned. Moving somewhere else was not easy because the fiefdoms of that period were closed societies and resistant to outsiders.

So in other words, the practice of confession to a priest was created as a means of political control.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page