Freedom and Grace Forums
September 17, 2014, 04:29:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: freedomandgrace.com is alive!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuck colson dead  (Read 560 times)
The G Man

Artist formerly known as Carolina

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »

This guy always seemed to give me the creeps. Heard he died Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/21/us/chuck-colson-obit/

Old School Grandma advice: "God's not going to come down here and do it for you; you gotta do it for yourself, boy.
CPB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »

I was never a fan of his politics. And I have to raise my eyebrow at the nerve of a man who was deeply involved in one of our countries most infamous political scandals who then spends the rest of his life lecturing people on public policy and government.

I mean you dont see Jim Bakker running around lecturing the world on financial responsiblity do you? What kind of witness would that be?

Regardless our prayers should be with his family and friends as they deal with this loss.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:26:26 PM by Chris Bechtloff » Logged

Heaven help me for the way I am
Save me from these evil deeds before I get them done
I know tomorrow brings the consequence at hand
But I keep livin' this day like the next will never come
-Fiona Apple

http://landsharkattacks.blogspot.com/
CPB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

I will say that while I had a distaste for Colson's political views I did admire the work he did with prison fellowship. BTW Im a little surprised this thread is as dead as it is.

Heaven help me for the way I am
Save me from these evil deeds before I get them done
I know tomorrow brings the consequence at hand
But I keep livin' this day like the next will never come
-Fiona Apple

http://landsharkattacks.blogspot.com/
Jeffrey

ME SMASHEM WITH ROCK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »

Well, the dirty politics part of his life occured before he came to Christ in faith. Personally I don't have a policy that if a person had some kind of specific "history" that occured before they became a believer that they are disqualified from speaking in that arena later on.
But I am not of a mind that believers can't have and share opinons, even in the mass media.

I have come across many howls about James Dobson for instance. I have no issue with the fact that many believers can't stand one or more of his views. I have myself at times. But I don't have a clue as to why a believer is diqualified from speaking to issues in society. I think the reality is that most people who are railing against folks like that are mostly doing so simply because they don't like the person's politics.
An example would be President Obama and hundreds of other politicians. They say they are a christian and they obviously have pollitical views. Few would say the president needs to shut up because he is a christian. Mostly its the conservative outspoken folks that this kind of criticism is aimed at. Just an observation.

If you find me annoying, great. That means I am getting at least some of what I am trying to say across.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: