How do you truly repent and walk away from a sin for good?

(1/3) > >>

LuvChess:
Just wondering if anyone has some advice on how to truly repent and walk away from a sin for good? How do I get true heart felt sorrow about a sin? I don't believe I am supposed to work it up somehow, doesn't a true attitude of repentance come from God? I can't think of the verse right now but somewhere it talks about being born again and everything becoming new.  I don't feel like a new person at all even though I have invited Jesus into my life to be my saviour (several times).  I believe with all my heart that he came to pay for my sin debt on the cross so I can spend eternity with him.
 I have heard sermons where it is said that repentence and a salvation experience are two sides of the same coin, but I wonder why John 3:16 doesn't even mention it.  I am just confused about repenting and how to do it and mean it.  Thanks for any advice.

toadbat:
LuvChess, first, welcome to the forums. Second, repentance is not a feeling and your right, true repentance does come from God. Without Him working directly in our lives, it would be impossible for us to come to any kind of true repentance. As far as walking away from a sin for good, as a recovering addict/alcoholic, I can tell you that you can make the decision to walk away from something several times in your life, only to turn around and find yourself tangled-up in it all over again. The answer is to get your eyes off of yourself and what it is you think you can and are supposed to do and get your eyes fixed permanently on Christ. (A lot easier said than done, I know). Remember He is our righteousnes and we merit absolutely nothing in ourselves worthy of Salvation. (That includes both being born again, and being kept in Him afterwards). Like you, I have said the sinner's prayer over and over again in my life, hag-ridden by the thought that maybe the first dozen or so times didn't take (because of on-going sin in my life). I discovered (am discovering, actually), that as long as I still wear this sinful flesh, I, like Paul in Romans 7, will still have a will that is inclined to the most abject wickedness.

This is going to be our condition 'til either we go home to be with the Lord, or else He returns for His Church. Our true deliverance comes from the fact that we have been declared (not made) righteous before God by way of Christ's work on the Cross. All we brought to the table was our sins, and apart from Christ's blood continually being applied to our lives, that is all we will ever bring. Ask Him to grant you a Godly repentance, a true metanoia. ("Change of mind"). Remeber, Christ said that He is the vine and we are the branch and without Him, we can do nothing. Fruits of righteousness and right living flow from abiding in Him. Abiding in Him entails getting your mind of what it is you are supposed to do (I think right now, He'll settle for you just getting out of His way as a worthy start!) and getting it on what He has already done for you. Once you get your heart and mind fixed on that, I do believe you will see some changes happening in your life.

LuvChess:
Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it.  Thank you.
I really want to see spiritual growth and fruitfullness not only for myself but I want to be a good witness to my wife and precious little boy.

Willis:
Here's an idea I've recommended to others before...take the following verse and print it out or write it on a card and tape it to your bathroom mirror so you can read it everyday:

Colossians 1:21-23 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

osiris041282:
In my experience, you have to just let it go.  The Evil One will always keep that on your mind, but like our heavenly Father, we have to forgive ourselves. 

Here is something from Micah 7:

18 Who is a God like you,
       who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
       of the remnant of his inheritance?
       You do not stay angry forever
       but delight to show mercy.

19 You will again have compassion on us;
       you will tread our sins underfoot
       and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page