Freedom and Grace Forums
October 22, 2014, 04:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: freedomandgrace.com is alive!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What does 'messianic jew' mean?  (Read 10871 times)
Callisti

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:29:29 AM »

What does 'messianic jew' mean? Does it mean you are of jewish heritage and you believe that Jesus is the Son of God? I read about someone who is a messianic jew and sometimes they make it seem like God favors the jewish people more. . .  and then I got jealous. . .  which is a sin against what God said. . . God clearly said He favors no one. . . Whether a jew or a scythian, slave or free, we are all the same.  Am I under a satanic attack?

I bought a new CD and there was a picture of the band and one of the members was wearing a 'Star of David' necklace. . .  How come? What does it mean? Do we all have to wear it? Do only jews wear it?

I need some clarification, please! Grin

"Application makes all the difference" - Andy Stanley
crowwoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »

I wear a Star of David but I'm not a Messianic Jew. I wear it because I believe those are my roots.

What if it really is about me???
klab

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »

really how does that go over in the baptist church?

crowwoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »

I've never had any repercussions from it. I've even done a Passover Seder as a SS Class Party once. I think it is very important to remember where we came from!

What if it really is about me???
Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »

So, what does it mean to be a messianic jew?

So, if you wear the Star of David, you are jewish? And what about those people who converted to christianity...what does that mean and how does it compare/contrast with being a messianic jew?

Comments, thoughts and everything in between, thanks!

toadbat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03:11 PM »

As near as I can understand it, a Messianic Jew is simply a Jew who has accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. He or she is no less jewish because of this anymore than you or I are any less of a gentile. There is another term I once heard a long time ago: "Completed Jew" which is also used to denote a Jew who has accepted Christ. The lineage is still Jewish, the heart is now one for Christ and all other believers in Yeshua.
daveed

by the rivers of babylon we sat and wept

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:31:08 AM »

As near as I can understand it, a Messianic Jew is simply a Jew who has accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. He or she is no less jewish because of this anymore than you or I are any less of a gentile. There is another term I once heard a long time ago: "Completed Jew" which is also used to denote a Jew who has accepted Christ. The lineage is still Jewish, the heart is now one for Christ and all other believers in Yeshua.
succinctly put TB.

hey kiddo (not refering to you TB,this is for Callisti),
        i are one. i am a messianic jew. the term "messianic" comes from being "of messiah" which all of us are if we are born of the water and the Spirit.

for Jew..... well you can look that up in every dictionary known to man and possibly come up with different answers each and every time!!!

the question of who or what or how or when or where is a Jew is something that plagues even my own people to this day. though there is an answer but this is not the time.

as for feeling inferior..... why should you? my people have been given a responsibility. a large one. to be the nation which is the light to the world. we are supposed to teach (in humility [ha!! that's a laugh!!! a humble Jew!?!?!??!?]) the nations. we are called to be the kingdom of priests and the set-apart nation.

but then again.. on the other hand.... so are you and every other gentile who has accepted Messiah called to be this as well.
in my book if you've accepted Messiah then you have had a Holy Spirit blood (pun intended) transfusion.

you have crossed over so to speak. back in the Book it wasn't Jews who needed to worry about being accepted among the Believers. it was Gentiles. Why? because up till Cornelius there were NO GENTILES IN the sect of the JEWS known as THE WAY. it was all Jews. it was by a Jew (Yeshua ), for the Jews first and then to the Gentiles.

as for the favor of G-D..... weeeeeeeelllllll....... i wouldn't want 
Messiah to favor unrepentant thieves, robbers, murderers and what not. would you? the only favor that i would want to be shown to such as these is His Mercy through the blood of the Messiah Yeshua when they repent. then there's no old sin so hey! why not accept them in? then they can be favored.

so hold your head high! you have as much right in Israel as Ruth and Rahab. both of whom were not Jewish. Yet these two women are even in the genealogy of the Messiah Himself!! and He is definitely a Jew!

shalom (peace),
                 Daveed

Devarim (Deuteronomy) 6:4-9 Vertical Relationship (Mankind to G-d)
Vaiyikra (Leviticus) 19:18 Horizontal Relationship (Mankind to Mankind)
Beresheet (Genesis) 12:1-3, 15:4-6, 15:18-21, 17:1-27, 25:21-26 Israel's Relationship
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 28
Tehillim (Psalms) 137
Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:45:11 AM »

Thanks for your comments everyone!

I didn't have a right spirit and I felt like I was getting the short end of the rod from God. It is sin to feel this way...just thinking about what God has done for me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:35:20 AM by Callisti » Logged

Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:36:32 PM »

Is being a messianic Jew same as being Christian? Like you're only a messianic Jew if you are of Jewish heritage and you believe in the Son of God?

Okay, so what does it mean when a person who was of Jewish faith converts to Christianity? I was listening to Dr. James Dobson on Focus on The Family on Star 99.1 FM and the show was about Joel C. Rosenberg's book Epicenter. It says in his website that, "...Joel is an evangelical Christian from an Orthodox Jewish."

What does it mean?

Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »

succinctly put TB.

i are one. i am a messianic jew. the term "messianic" comes from being "of messiah" which all of us are if we are born of the water and the Spirit.

for Jew..... well you can look that up in every dictionary known to man and possibly come up with different answers each and every time!!!

the question of who or what or how or when or where is a Jew is something that plagues even my own people to this day. though there is an answer but this is not the time.

as for feeling inferior..... why should you? my people have been given a responsibility. a large one. to be the nation which is the light to the world. we are supposed to teach (in humility [ha!! that's a laugh!!! a humble Jew!?!?!??!?]) the nations. we are called to be the kingdom of priests and the set-apart nation.

but then again.. on the other hand.... so are you and every other gentile who has accepted Messiah called to be this as well.
in my book if you've accepted Messiah then you have had a Holy Spirit blood (pun intended) transfusion.

you have crossed over so to speak. back in the Book it wasn't Jews who needed to worry about being accepted among the Believers. it was Gentiles. Why? because up till Cornelius there were NO GENTILES IN the sect of the JEWS known as THE WAY. it was all Jews. it was by a Jew (Yeshua ), for the Jews first and then to the Gentiles.

Messiah to favor unrepentant thieves, robbers, murderers and what not. would you? the only favor that i would want to be shown to such as these is His Mercy through the blood of the Messiah Yeshua when they repent. then there's no old sin so hey! why not accept them in? then they can be favored.

so hold your head high! you have as much right in Israel as Ruth and Rahab. both of whom were not Jewish. Yet these two women are even in the genealogy of the Messiah Himself!! and He is definitely a Jew!

shalom (peace),
                 Daveed

Daveed, hi

So...I don't understand another thing...why do some people do this: 'G-d' and the rest of us say God? And how does the Torah fit with the New Testament? Do messianic Jews follow the Torah or the Bible?

I read that 'messianic Jew' is a new denomination... would you say it's true?

And what would you guys say about Jews converting to Christianity? If this is so, where does being a messianic Jew fit? Is it a choice? If you believe in Christ, aren't you Christian?

Thanks all!

Steve(TO)

Where facts are few, experts are many.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »

Well some people think it takes more then simply belief in Jesus. The you have to define what belief in Jesus means. If that passes thier test then you have to believe in.......

Things are never simple.

Something to keep in mind. The name christian was given by way of a slam. I wonder if being a christian is really what one is supposed to yearn for.

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.
  - George Bernard Shaw
Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »

Well some people think it takes more then simply belief in Jesus. The you have to define what belief in Jesus means. If that passes thier test then you have to believe in.......

Things are never simple.

Something to keep in mind. The name christian was given by way of a slam. I wonder if being a christian is really what one is supposed to yearn for.

Definitely. For those who live in Jesus, we have something to sing about. Actually, a whole lot.  It's not about a set of rules of dos and don'ts. He's not legalistic. It's about a personal, intimate relationship with God. And obedience, worship, praise is the out-pour of loving God for who He is and what He has done for us and remember, He is FOR us!

If you live by fate and fate alone, first of all, there is no such thing as "fate" in the life of a believer. And if you do live by "fate", you are a lonely person.

If you believe that it's not worth it, you've missed it pal. But it's not too late! He wants you now...

toadbat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »

Things are never simple.

Yes, and the Cross came by way of Christ's enemies as well. See how God uses the slanders and piercings of His enemies to His own glory?
daveed

by the rivers of babylon we sat and wept

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »

succinctly put TB.

shalom (peace),
                 Daveed

Daveed, hi

So...I don't understand another thing...why do some people do this: 'G-d' and the rest of us say God?
to give you a quick answer .....It has to do with respect for the name of G-D.
And how does the Torah fit with the New Testament? Do messianic Jews follow the Torah or the Bible?
first one would have to ask.... what is the meaning of the word Torah to you?

no. it's been a movement in Jewish and Gentile circles for well over 2000 years. some have tried to make denominations inside of it and around it.... but bottom line ....it's a movement.

And what would you guys say about Jews converting to Christianity?

that would depend upon what you call "Christianity".

If this is so, where does being a messianic Jew fit? Is it a choice? If you believe in Christ, aren't you Christian?

Messianic Jews by virtue of their very existence declare that a Jew shouldn't have to stop being a Jew in order to accept the Jewish Messiah.

and remember.. at one time it was a big debacle to try to bring Gentiles into the Messianic Faith.

also... please keep in mind that "Christ" is Greek for "Anointed One".
Messiah is the Anglicized Hebrew for "Anointed One". the reason I choose the term Messiah is because the Greeks anointed people for different reasons than the Hebrews of Moses' time did.

so if you believe in the Messiah of Israel (Yeshua who's name means   
"He will rescue" or "He will save") are you not Messianic yourself? also are you not just as much of Israel as Ruth and Rahab?

so what differentiates you from a Messianic Jew?

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:36:57 PM by daveed » Logged

Devarim (Deuteronomy) 6:4-9 Vertical Relationship (Mankind to G-d)
Vaiyikra (Leviticus) 19:18 Horizontal Relationship (Mankind to Mankind)
Beresheet (Genesis) 12:1-3, 15:4-6, 15:18-21, 17:1-27, 25:21-26 Israel's Relationship
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 28
Tehillim (Psalms) 137
Callisti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 05:35:25 AM »

succinctly put TB.

shalom (peace),
                 Daveed

Daveed, hi

So...I don't understand another thing...why do some people do this: 'G-d' and the rest of us say God?
to give you a quick answer .....It has to do with respect for the name of G-D.
And how does the Torah fit with the New Testament? Do messianic Jews follow the Torah or the Bible?
first one would have to ask.... what is the meaning of the word Torah to you?

no. it's been a movement in Jewish and Gentile circles for well over 2000 years. some have tried to make denominations inside of it and around it.... but bottom line ....it's a movement.

And what would you guys say about Jews converting to Christianity?

that would depend upon what you call "Christianity".

If this is so, where does being a messianic Jew fit? Is it a choice? If you believe in Christ, aren't you Christian?

Messianic Jews by virtue of their very existence declare that a Jew shouldn't have to stop being a Jew in order to accept the Jewish Messiah.

and remember.. at one time it was a big debacle to try to bring Gentiles into the Messianic Faith.

also... please keep in mind that "Christ" is Greek for "Anointed One".
Messiah is the Anglicized Hebrew for "Anointed One". the reason I choose the term Messiah is because the Greeks anointed people for different reasons than the Hebrews of Moses' time did.

so if you believe in the Messiah of Israel (Yeshua who's name means   
"He will rescue" or "He will save") are you not Messianic yourself? also are you not just as much of Israel as Ruth and Rahab?

so what differentiates you from a Messianic Jew?

Thanks all!

Well, I am not a Jew and I don't know what's inside the torah. I read that some books of the Old Testament are not in the torah.. I don't know! I have to check it out myself!

Being "Christian", what I believe is true about being a Christian is having an intimate relationship with the Father. Following Jesus, and obeying Him..Not 'cause we're afraid of what's going to happen if we don't but obedience is an outpour of love. We want to obey Him because He is good. If you love God and trust Him, you will obey Him.

Yeah, you can believe in Jesus but what do you believe about Jesus, 'cause it makes a difference what you believe..not just some intellectual ascent to.

"to give you a quick answer .....It has to do with respect for the name of G-D."
Hey, I have a respect for God, too. We ALL do. But most of the time, I am wretched.. so ungrateful in my actions, and so unworthy. But that's okay, He knows our weakness. But that doesn't mean we keep on doing the things we know are wrong.

we're ALL unworthy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. But just because I don't spell His name without the "o" doesn't mean I disrespect Him.

"so what differentiates you from a Messianic Jew?"
-I am not of Jewish heritage.
Thanks for your posts!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: